- Working on a pecan and brown sugar lacey cookie. It’s almost there, just another batch or two and they’ll be perfect! Stay tuned!
- I am now the (very) proud owner of a butter ornament. Finally, our tree is complete! My friend Meredith (who I saw last month) bestowed it upon me because she just gets me. I’m a very lucky girl with very good friends.
- Seth got the family a Firestick for Christmas and holy moly has it changed our TV game! We had been using an ancient blu-ray player for way too long. There are so many fun features on this thing and every time Seth tells me another one he laughs at my, “Wha?! Really?!” response. Welcome to the future!
- On the topic of TV – I binged a show for the first time since our honeymoon (yeah, we binge watched a show on our romantic weekend away and it was perfection, don’t @ me). Dirty John! One of my favorite podcasts became a TV show. It was brilliant! Absolutely marvelous! Connie Britton is a treasure and Eric Bana was terrifying.
- Speaking of podcasts – which I do virtually all of the time that I’m not actually listening to them – I started listening to Scam Goddess and I’m hooked! It’s funny and current and true crime-y without being about murder.
- It’s usually a guarantee that this time of year I’m bound to get a cold. And a dang nasty one at that. I’m not sure if working from home is helping or hindering this happening. On the one hand, I’m not exposed to so many germs buuuuuut, on the other hand, I’m not exposed to so many germs! Less risk of coming into contact with sickly people but, also, less chance to build up immunities. I’m taking lots of elderberry and vitamin c supplements to be safe, either way.
- May we all have an Aunt Jackie in our lives.
- Going to attempt my first Bûche de Nöel this week/weekend. I haven’t successfully made a Swiss roll cake in two year (then again, I haven’t tried in two years). If you have any tips or tricks for the love of all that is good in this world please share!
Toasted sugar, you say?
Toasted sugar, I say!
What is toasted sugar, you say?
I’ll tell you what toasted sugar is, I say!
(Can you tell I’ve had a lot of coffee today?)
Toasted sugar is just regular ol’ sugar that’s been toasted. That’s it! Very simple. It’s as easy as, well…pie! The toasting process comes from making pie. Lots of pie. Like, seriously, a lot of pies.Read More »
I have watched The Family Stone approximately a dozen times this year.
I have eaten approximately 478 sugared cranberries, too.
Because they’re that darn good.
Tart, sweet, with that fresh cranberry “pop” when you bite into them.
Is it too much of a stretch to compare them to SJP’s character in the movie? Almost definitely, but I’m still going to. Although, she was more of the reverse – kind of tart and unappealing on the outside but sweet and good on the inside.Read More »
I remember such a specific Christmas when I felt I had it all together. My head was fully attached and on straight. Gifts were purchased in June and wrapped in November. The tree was bought and put up the day after Thanksgiving. The lights were on the house and lit every night.
I sincerely wonder/hope/pray if my life will ever feel that way again. If the holidays will ever feel that way again. I have great hopes that they will. I understand this is just a busy season in our lives. I also understand that there are positives that can come from this time, that are coming from this time.
I’m learning how to focus on what’s really important and let other things go.
I’m taking stock of what I already have and parting with things that no longer move or serve me.
I’m getting a jump on planning next Christmas.Read More »
- I am on day five of my cheesy advent calendar and this is so much fun.
- Speaking of cheese (again), as of now – my upcoming Holiday Cheeseboard class is SOLD OUT. I cannot believe it. I’m in awe. And so excited to make some cheeseboards!
- Seth and I started watching Sex Education on Netflix and it’s quickly become one of our favorite shows. Yes, it’s raunchy and full of inappropriate words. But it’s also full of heart and humor and a deeper meaning. Season two starts in January and we are so ready!
- I got my mom a Nicholas Cage Pillow for her birthday. She loved it even more than I thought she would.
- Got these bibs when Seth and I went down to Chicago for our early anniversary trip. They’re my new favorite. They can be paired with a Christmas sweater or worn when I’m on location. Highly recommend.
- Seth also picked up a new coat…for Edgar! “For chores.” (Find the photographic evidence on my “Edgar James” story highlights on IG!)
- We were all clad in our Carhartt-ed best when we went in search of a tree. Turns out! All these lovely, quaint, small-town cut-your-own Christmas tree farms are closed Monday – Thursday! So, we got our tree from a local, beloved plant shop. We brought it home, put it up, and watched it promptly topple over when I tried to water it. Thank goodness it wasn’t decorated yet!
- Dots Pretzels. Seth and I had them as a car snack a few days ago and ohmygosh I cannot believe how good they are! Makes me want to do a fun seasoned or spiced pretzel/snack mix for the holidays!
We didn’t get to fry a turkey for Thanksgiving.
Between Seth hunting and me working and all of the shuffling around that comes from having in-laws who have in-laws – we just couldn’t make Thanksgiving at our house work.
So! We regrouped, reconfigured, and reorganized. And are now going to be hosting a Christmas party/open house/Festivus instead!
I really love hosting gatherings at our home. I’d rather have a cavity filled than leave our house for a social engagement, but the tables are totally turned when I’m hosting the party. I love having people over! Milling around, making drinks, munching on snacks! It’s the best! I like decorating the house and doting on guests. As evidenced by Cheeselandia last year and my podcast-themed birthday party this year. Call me crazy, but I even like the clean up afterward, too.Read More »