Hi! I’m Amanda, the full-time recipe developer, food photographer, and videographer behind Midwest Nice Blog. This is a space for you to gain kitchen confidence with my catalog of approachable and enjoyable homemade recipes. I believe in making good food for good people. And I’ve got a feeling you’re pretty good people.
I’m a born and raised Wisconsinite who has been working in the kitchen since I was an itty-bitty thing. Most of my childhood photos show me in the kitchen with my grandma or holding a spoon full of something delicious. All I have ever wanted to do is make food for my friends and family and write about it. And now, with this blog, my dreams have come true!
Before I started this blog, I spent over a decade working in restaurant kitchens. I have held every job you can think of – from dishwasher to head pastry chef and everything in between.
This experience, combined with the wealth of knowledge bestowed upon me from my grandmother (who was the best cook I’ve ever encountered), have me poised to be your go-to-gal for real good, real food recipes. A journalism degree from Northwestern University means I’m perfectly positioned to communicate all the knowledge I’ve gained back to you, my wonderful readers!
WHAT IS MIDWEST NICE?
Midwest Nice isn’t just a feeling, it’s a state of being. It’s shoveling your neighbor’s driveway. It’s stopping to talk to your mom’s coworker’s wife in the grocery store. It’s making a double batch of strawberry jam so you have enough to hand out to friends. There is something intrinsically simple and supremely satisfying about being Midwest Nice that has always been a part of my life and my food.
It is my hope that with every meal I create and every recipe I share that you feel inspired, delighted, and encouraged. And that you pass those feelings on to your loved ones in the form of a homemade treat. It’s the Midwest Nice thing to do. (I would suggest a batch of O’Henry bars!)
What you can expect to see
On Midwest Nice I like to share the real recipes I make for friends and family. Some are sweet, some are savory, all are delicious! I am a huge proponent of using real, fresh ingredients and whole foods. My meals are big on flavor and my thorough instructions will teach you the kitchen basics that I believe every home cook should know.
You’ll also find a whole host of venison recipes! My husband is an avid hunter, and we are so fortunate to have our land provide us with quality meat to feed our family. I’ve learned a lot in our years together and know my way around fresh cuts of venison like a seasoned pro now!
A few of my favorites include red wine venison stew, venison shepherd’s pie, venison meatballs, and venison meatloaf! I’m always adding more and using venison in creative and delicious ways so be sure to check back often for more kitchen inspiration!
Here are a few more of my favorite (and most popular) recipes!
- Copycat Starbucks Cold Foam
- Dry Rubbed Baked Chicken Wings
- Sourdough Naan
- Brandy Slush (A Wisconsin staple!)
- Slow Cooker Coca Cola Pulled Pork
A LITTLE ABOUT ME:
- I am married to the absolute best guy around. Seth is my light and my love and my biggest cheerleader. He’s also my main taste-tester and isn’t afraid to tell me what he really thinks.
- The other man in my life has four legs and a tail. His name is Edgar and I’m a better woman for taking care of him.
- I love winter more than most people. After living in the South for years, I made a promise to myself that upon my return to Wisconsin I wouldn’t complain about the cold. I have (mostly) stuck to that promise.
- Yes, that's a butter tattoo. I am currently working on a sleeve of tattoos dedicated to baking.
- I am unabashedly and enthusiastically a Fanson (that's a fan of Hanson for those out of the loop). They made more wonderful music besides MMMBop.
- Pen and paper will always be my preferred choice of writing. I have a monthly planner and notepad I carry around with me wherever I go.
Interested in working together?
Midwest Nice is available for brand partnerships, sponsored posts, recipe development, and more! If you believe in what I do here and want to partner on a project, send me an email at amanda(at)midwestniceblog.com