This post may contain affiliate links. This blog generates income via ads.
Homemade Vanilla Simple Syrup is a great kitchen staple that can be used for flavoring everything from cocktails to coffee recipes to cakes. All it takes is three ingredients and five minutes to make this liquid sweetener right at home.
The flecks of real vanilla bean make this homemade simple syrup a real stunner - and it's so easy to make. You'll never buy it from the store again!
Ingredients for this recipe
- Vanilla Extract
Making vanilla simple syrup
- Combine the water and the sugar. In a small saucepan over low heat.
- Cook the sugar. Until just dissolved, about five minutes.
- Stir in the vanilla. Be generous with the extract here.
- Cool and store. The simple syrup will last for quite some time in the fridge.
Storing Simple Syrup
After it is cooled, vanilla simple syrup can be stored in the refrigerator for next to forever. Sugar is a natural preservative and slows the growth of bacteria in many processed and canned foods.
Because of this, simple syrup lasts a very long time in the fridge.
I like to keep my simple syrup covered in the fridge for up to for six months (if it lasts that long).
How to use
Simple syrup has the same sweetness level as regular table sugar, because that's what it is made of! Use this as you would regular granulated sugar, noting that 1 teaspoon of simple syrup is the equivalent to 1 teaspoon sugar. You'll get around 2 cups (or 96 teaspoons) of vanilla simple syrup out of this recipe.
This vanilla simple syrup is perfect for coffees! It’s perfect for adding to iced cold brew because it mixes in so well to the cold liquid. Add a splash to your hot vanilla latte (or an iced vanilla latte!), cappuccino, or brewed coffee before serving.
Making a cake that won’t be served right away? A bakery trick is to brush the top of the cake with simple syrup before frosting to keep it moist. The vanilla adds another fantastic layer of flavor to your dessert while helping to keep it fresh!
Kinds of vanilla
This recipe calls for vanilla extract to be added to the syrup after the sugar dissolves. (You can learn how to make your own with my homemade vanilla extract recipe!) You can also use vanilla bean paste or scrape a fresh vanilla bean and mix the seeds right in.
For even more flavor, let the scraped vanilla bean steep in the syrup for 10 minutes!
Go forth and flavor your coffees and cakes with this delicious syrup!
Vanilla Simple Syrup
- Small Saucepan
- Jar with a Lid
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- In a shallow saucepan, stir together the sugar and water. Cook over medium heat, stirring continuously, until sugar has dissolved into water and mixture is homogenous.
- Remove syrup from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Pour syrup into a glass jar with a lid and allow to cool, uncovered, to room temperature, before sealing and placing in fridge.
- Serve simple syrup in cocktails, coffees, or cakes as desired.
- Syrup can be properly stored, covered in the refrigerator, for up to six months.
Leave a rating and review!