This post may contain affiliate links. This blog generates income via ads.
Bursting with sweet and cooling mint flavor this peppermint syrup recipe is a kitchen staple to keep on hand for your favorite tea and coffee recipes. Three ingredients and five minutes are all you need to make this easy at-home simple syrup recipe.
If you love all things peppermint, you’re going to love this peppermint syrup! It’s like a liquid candy cane that’s great for flavoring everything from cold brew coffee to a glass of sparkling water or lemonade.
Ingredients you’ll need
- Sugar – Plain old granulated sugar.
- Water – From the kitchen tap is just fine.
- Peppermint Extract – A little bit of this potent extract goes a long way!
Making Peppermint Simple Syrup at Home
This is just a brief overview, more detailed instructions can be found in the recipe card below!
- Combine the water and sugar. This is how we start any simple syrup recipe.
- Cook until sugar is dissolved. Over medium heat.
- Stir in peppermint extract. After removing the pan from heat.
- Cool and enjoy. Allow the syrup to cool completely before storing or using.
Using mint extract vs fresh mint
Much like my vanilla simple syrup, this simple syrup recipes gets its flavor from extract and not whole ingredients.
Of course, if you want to use real peppermint leaves, you absolutely can. This process would be similar to how I make my honey mint syrup or rhubarb syrup. Even my caramel simple syrup is made using real caramel sauce.
Use 1 ½ ounces or about 1 cup of fresh peppermint leaves and stems and steep in the syrup for 5 – 10 minutes before discarding.
Using Mint Syrup
Or add a splash to your favorite mocha latte to create a luxurious peppermint mocha right at home.
Enjoying a glass of lemonade or iced tea flavored with peppermint simple syrup is extra refreshing on hot summer days!
Storing The Syrup
One of my favorite things about simple syrups is how long they last!
To store the syrup, keep it sealed in a jar in the fridge for up to two months. Discard if it develops mold or an off smell or becomes cloudy.
Watch the Recipe Video!
Peppermint Simple Syrup (Ready in 5 Minutes!)
- Storage Jar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- In a small saucepan combine 1 cup water and 1 cup granulated sugar.
- Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring until sugar is fully dissolved in the water. (Be careful not to let the syrup boil.)
- Remove syrup from heat and stir in 2 teaspoons peppermint extract.
- Pour peppermint syrup into jar and cool completely before covering and storing until ready to use.
- Makes 1 ½ cups or 24 tablespoons of syrup.