This post may contain affiliate links. This blog generates income via ads.
Homemade Caramel Simple Syrup is a great kitchen staple that can be used for flavoring everything from coffees to cakes. All it takes is two ingredients and five minutes to make this liquid sweetener right at home.
The delicious flavor of real caramel sauce makes this homemade simple syrup a real stunner - and it's so easy to make. And even easier to enjoy. You'll never buy it from the store again!
Ingredients for this recipe
- Caramel Sauce – From a bottle or jar or even homemade. I really love Ghirardelli’s caramel sauce.
- Water – Just plain, old water.
Making Caramel simple syrup
This is just a brief overview, you can find more detailed instructions in the recipe card below!
- Combine the water and the caramel. In a small saucepan over low heat.
- Cook the syrup. Until just steaming, mixing well to be sure it’s combined.
- Cool and store. The simple syrup will last for quite some time in the fridge.
Storing Simple Syrup
After it is cooled, caramel simple syrup can be stored in the refrigerator for next to forever.
Sugar is a natural preservative and slows the growth of bacteria in many processed and canned foods. Because of this, simple syrup lasts a very long time in the fridge.
It’s important to note that the addition of other ingredients besides sugar (like the ingredients in store-bought caramel sauce) mean it loses some of its preservative quality.
I like to keep my simple syrup in a glass jar in the fridge for up to for six months (if it lasts that long). If the syrup ever develops mold, an off color, smell, or taste discard it immediately.
Ways to use homemade caramel simple syrup
This caramel simple syrup is perfect for coffees! Add it to iced homemade cold brew and see how easy it mixes into the cold coffee. Or add a splash to your hot latte, cappuccino, or brewed coffee before serving.
I also love using it to make my salted caramel cold foam cold brew!
Making a cake that won’t be served right away? A bakery trick is to brush the top of the cake with simple syrup before frosting to keep it moist. The caramel adds another fantastic layer of flavor to your dessert while helping to keep it fresh!
You can also employ the same cake-saving trick with my vanilla simple syrup recipe!
Go forth and flavor your coffees and cakes with this delicious syrup!
Other Simple Syrup Recipes
Watch the recipe video!
Caramel Simple Syrup
- Small Saucepan
- Glass Jar with a Lid
- 1 cup caramel sauce
- 1 cup water
- In a shallow saucepan, stir together 1 cup caramel sauce and 1 cup water. Cook over low heat, stirring continuously, until caramel has dissolved into water and mixture is smooth and just starting to steam, about five minutes.
- Pour syrup into a glass jar and allow to cool, uncovered, to room temperature, before sealing with a lid and placing in fridge.
- Caramel simple syrup can be used to flavor coffees and cakes as desired.
- Syrup can be properly stored in the refrigerator for up to six months. If it ever develops mold, an odd or off color, taste, or smell discard it immediately.