This Swedish Apple Pie is sure to be your new favorite! A layer of tart apples beautifully baked with brown sugar and warming spices are blanketed by a vanilla-scented crust. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for the ultimate apple pie experience.
Say hello to the lazy person’s pie. A true hybrid dessert. Part apple pie. Part cobbler. All flavor!
What is Swedish Apple Pie?
Some kind of magic happens when you bake a Swedish apple pie. The crust on the top (which is almost like a cake batter) sinks down between all the cracks and crevices in the apples and forms a thin layer on the bottom too! A single crust becomes two and a pie is born! There’s no rolling out a crust, dealing with cold butter or tough pastry. Just mix, spread, bake, and enjoy! Here’s how:
The easiest apple pie – how to make Swedish apple pie
- Prepare the filling. Toss peeled and sliced apples with brown sugar, and spices. Pour into an 8-inch pie plate and set aside.
- Prepare the crust. Just mix everything together. The flour, sugar, butter, salt, egg, yolk, and yolk. It’s kind of like a cobbler topping. Kind of like cake batter. But turns into pie crust?! Magic!
- Bake the pie. In a 350-degree oven. On a baking sheet! Always bake your pies on a baking sheet to catch any drips or drops that may occur. It’s just good baking practice.
- Serve the pie. Warm or cold. But always with vanilla ice cream. Amen.
What are the spices in apple pie?
The classic flavor of apple pie is definitely cinnamon. It’s always at the forefront, but there are other necessary spices in the mix too. They complement the cinnamon, as well as the apples. Spicy cloves, hearty nutmeg, and warm allspice are all in this recipe (and all in a jar of Apple Pie Spice!). Brown sugar holds everything together – both literally and figuratively. If you don’t have all of the individual spices on hand but happen to have a jar of apple pie spice, simply substitute 1 ½ tsp. of the spice blend for the individual spices.
You may also like:
- Glazed Apple Slices
- Apple Cinnamon Monkey Bread
- Soft Pumpkin Cookies with Maple Glaze
- Pumpkin Spice Bundt Cake
Swedish Apple Pie
- 8-inch pie plate
For the apple pie filling:
- 1 ½ pounds baking apples peeled and sliced thin
- 3 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. ground allspice
- Pinch ground cloves
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
For the crust:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1 egg + 1 yolk
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Toss the apples with 3 tablespoon brown sugar, the cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves and salt. Pour into an 8-inch pie plate and arrange in a flat layer, set aside.
- Separately, whisk together the flour, granulated sugar, melted butter, egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract into a thick batter.
- Spread batter over prepared apples and bake in preheated oven for 45 – 50 minutes, or until top is golden brown and apples are tender.
- Serve pie warm with ice cream. Or at room temperature with ice cream. Just, with ice cream.
- Pie can be stored in fridge for up to three days.