This shredded bbq chicken is what dinner dreams are made of! Consisting of only three ingredients and absolutely loaded with flavor this easy crockpot pulled chicken recipe is sure to be your new favorite weeknight dinner!
This is the easiest chicken dinner you will ever make! And also one of the tastiest! A simple combination of chicken + BBQ sauce + sliced onion is all it takes. This recipe for shredded chicken is so delicious, so juicy and tender you’ll be amazed at how easy it was to make.
I’ll be honest, I don’t adore crockpot cooking. I think it is only good for a handful of things. Nine times out of ten, I prefer to use my stove and my oven. Let me slow braise a stew or roast and I’m happy as clam.
However! This is that one time out of ten when a crockpot is my preferred method of cooking. I LOVE that I can just throw chicken breasts, sliced onions, and my favorite BBQ sauce in the pot and come back to a perfect meal hours later. Here’s how to do it:
Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Recipe
- Fill the crockpot. With the chicken breasts, sliced onion, and BBQ sauce.
- Cook on low. Cover the crockpot and cook on low for 6 – 8 hours.
- Shred the chicken. It will be fall-apart tender. Just take two forks and gently pull all the meat apart and mix it into the sauce.
- Serve the BBQ Chicken. I like to serve this chicken like I would pulled pork. On a bun with coleslaw!
It truly doesn’t get easier than this! Or more delicious. This shredded BBQ chicken is a must-make crockpot recipe that you’ll turn to again and again for easy weeknight dinners.
What to make with leftover shredded chicken
Of course, eating sandwiches all week could get a little boring. Don’t fret! There’s plenty you can do with this crockpot BBQ chicken.
As is my love for this meal.
Crockpot Shredded BBQ Chicken
- Slow Cooker
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 large white onion sliced
- 2 cups BBQ sauce I love Sweet Baby Ray’s
- Place the chicken and onion in a slow cooker. Top with the BBQ sauce. Cover and cook on low for 6 – 8 hours, or until chicken is fork tender.
- Turn off slow cooker. Using two forks shred the chicken breasts into beautifully tender pieces. Mix everything together so all the chicken is covered with the BBQ sauce.
- Serve the chicken on seeded buns with coleslaw.
- Leftovers can be stored in fridge for up to five days.
- Refer to post for ideas for using leftover shredded BBQ chicken.