This post may contain affiliate links. This blog generates income via ads.
Toss boneless chicken breasts, sliced white onion, and two cups of your favorite BBQ sauce into the crockpot and let it do its thing! The result? The easiest juicy, tender pulled barbecue chicken perfect for burgers, tacos, pizza and rice bowls — the ideas for using shredded chicken are endless!
This is the easiest chicken dinner you will ever make! And also one of the tastiest! It's one of my favorite easy and simple dinner recipes.
A simple combination of chicken, BBQ sauce, and sliced onion is all it takes. This recipe for Crockpot pulled chicken is so delicious, so juicy and tender you’ll be amazed at how easy it was to make.
Ingredients for this recipe
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Sliced White Onion
- BBQ Sauce
I’ll be honest, I don’t adore crockpot cooking. I think it is only good for a handful of things. Nine times out of ten, I prefer to use my stove and my oven. Let me slow braise a stew or roast and I’m happy as clam.
However! This is that one time out of ten when a crockpot is my preferred method of cooking. I LOVE that I can just throw chicken breasts, sliced onions, and my favorite BBQ sauce in the pot and come back to a perfect meal hours later. It's so easy to make this Crockpot pulled chicken breast.
It truly doesn’t get easier than this! Or more delicious. This shredded BBQ chicken is a must-make crockpot recipe that you’ll turn to again and again for easy weeknight dinners.
How to make shredded bbq chicken
- Fill the crockpot. With the boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced onion, and BBQ sauce.
- Cook on low. Cover the crockpot and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Shred the chicken. It will be fall-apart tender. Just take two forks and gently pull all the meat apart and mix it into the sauce.
- Serve the Shredded BBQ Chicken. I like to serve this chicken like I would my coca cola pulled pork. On a bun with cilantro lime coleslaw!
Serving bbq pulled chicken
While I love nothing more than enjoying this crockpot pulled chicken on a brioche bun, eating sandwiches all week could get a little boring. Don’t fret! There’s plenty you can do with this crockpot BBQ chicken.
- Put it on pizza with cheddar cheese and scallions.
- Make it into a quesadilla
- Serve it in taco shells like my slow cooker chicken tacos.
- Serve it on top of creamy mac and cheese.
- Pile it on top of nachos (it's extra good with coleslaw like my favorite bbq pulled pork nachos
Store any leftover crockpot pulled chicken breast in the freezer to keep on hand for whenever you need a quick and easy meal in a pinch!
Place leftovers in a freezer-safe, zip-top plastic bag and squeeze out all the air. Label the bag with the contents and date and freeze for up to three months.
Alternatively, you can also use a vacuum-seal storage bag. That's what I love doing with leftovers!
Shredded BBQ Chicken Breast in the Crockpot
- Slow Cooker
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 large white onion sliced
- 2 cups BBQ sauce (I love Sweet Baby Ray’s)
- Place the chicken and onion in a slow cooker. Top with the BBQ sauce. Cover and cook on low for ~8 hours, or until chicken is fork tender.
- Turn off slow cooker. Using two forks shred the chicken breasts into beautifully tender pieces. Mix everything together so all the chicken is covered with the BBQ sauce.
- Serve the chicken on seeded buns with coleslaw.
- Leftovers can be stored in fridge for up to five days. Or frozen for up to three months.
- Refer to post for ideas on how to serve shredded BBQ chicken.
- Chicken can be cooked on High for 4 hours, if desired.
Leave a Reply