This post was originally published on January 20, 2017 and was updated on January 24, 2021. Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken is an incredibly easy weeknight meal that requires only three ingredients! With less than ten minutes of actual work involved it’s never been easier to have an incredibly delicious dinner!
Looking for an easy chicken recipe? Look no further than this slow cooker salsa chicken! A simple combination of chicken breasts, sliced onion, and your favorite salsa make for an effortless meal with endless possibilities!
Ingredients for this recipe:
- Chicken breast - Boneless, skinless chicken breasts make shredding the cooked chicken easy as pie!
- Onion – Thinly sliced to add some flavor
- Salsa – choose your favorite! Spicy, medium, mild. Homemade or jarred. If you put it on a chip, throw it in this dish!
A short list of ingredients and a short list of steps! How much easier could it get?!
Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken Recipe
- Add the chicken. To the slow cooker. Then add the onion.
- Add the salsa. A 16-ounce jar of your favorite works perfectly!
- Cook the chicken. On low for 6 hours.
- Shred the chicken. It only requires two forks and two minutes!
My favorite way to serve this recipe is as tacos. I just fill some tortillas with the chicken and top it with fresh tomatoes, onions, cilantro, and cotija. Talk about tacos!
But don’t stop there! Let your imagination run wild! Turn it into enchiladas, nachos, quesadillas. Serve it over rice with some pico. Yum!
You may also enjoy:
Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken
- Slow Cooker
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 white onion sliced thin
- 1 jar of your favorite salsa or 16 ounces of homemade salsa!
- Place the chicken and onion in a slow cooker. Top with the salsa. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours, or until chicken is fork tender.
- Turn off slow cooker. Using two forks shred the chicken breasts into beautifully tender pieces. Mix everything together so all the chicken is covered with the salsa.
- To assemble tacos: place chicken on warmed tortilla and top with cotija, diced onion, fresh tomatoes, and cilantro.