This post may contain affiliate links. This blog generates income via ads.
These oven roasted potatoes with rosemary and mustard are a delicious side dish! Perfectly cooked cubed potatoes are paired with earthy rosemary, spicy stoneground mustard, and just a pinch of brown sugar in this ultimate potato side dish recipe!
For this recipe, my preference is Yukon gold or red potatoes because of their buttery flavor, but also because these types of potatoes don’t need to be peeled first.
Pair the mustard-roasted potatoes with virtually any dinner recipe for a show stopping meal. Or, toss them with peppers and onions and top with eggs for a delicious breakfast scramble.
Ingredients for this recipe
- Olive Oil
- Brown Sugar
- Stone Ground Mustard
- Fresh Rosemary
- Salt and Pepper
- Ground Mustard
- Garlic Powder
For years and years I didn’t like mustard. Then I discovered what a revelation stone ground was. It’s none of that yellow garbage – it’s spicy and tangy and when paired with brown sugar for a hint of sweetness and fresh rosemary for some needed earthiness, it’s undeniably delicious on these roasted potatoe cubes!
How to oven roast potatoes
- Cut the potatoes. Learn how to below!
- Whisk together the remaining ingredients. In a big ol’ bowl.
- Toss the potatoes. In the big bowl. Make sure the potatoes are evenly coated.
- Roast the potatoes. In a pan that’s been preheating in the oven. This makes for perfectly crispy taters.
The key to this recipe is evenly cut potatoes. I’ve been doing it for years, but realize it may not be common knowledge of how to cut potatoes. Here’s how!
How to Cube Potatoes
- Cut the potatoes in half. The long way. It’s easier to cut cubes when there is a flat side to work with.
- Then cut the halves in half. The wide way. To make two flat potato disks, essentially.
- Cut the halves into thirds. The long way. To make long sticks of potatoes. Rotate the potatoes 90 degrees and…
- Turn the sticks into cubes. Voila! That easy! Now you have perfectly symmetrical chunks of potatoes that will roast evenly.
Other great potato recipes
- Buttery Mashed Potatoes
- Grilled Potatoes in Foil Packets
- Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- Buttery and Crispy Smashed Potatoes
Crispy Oven-Roasted Potato Cubes
- 2 pounds Red or Yukon Gold potatoes, washed well and cut into ½ inch pieces, skins left on
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup stone ground mustard
- 1 ½ - 2 tablespoons kosher salt, more or less to taste
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. ground mustard
- 1 tsp. granulated garlic
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. While oven is preheating, place a large rimmed baking sheet in the middle rack of oven.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together everything but the potatoes until a thick paste forms. Dump in the potatoes and stir to coat.
- Without removing pan from oven (although you can pull it out about halfway, very carefully) pour potatoes onto pan. You'll hear sizzling and popping - that's good! That's going to give the potatoes a nice crust!
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 – 45 minutes, tossing potatoes after about 20 minutes. Remove from oven when potatoes are golden brown and easily pierced with a fork.
- Leftover potatoes can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days.