Hard Rhubarb Lemonade is a delicious summer cocktail that’s tart, sweet, and sparkly. Using only four ingredients, it’s easy as can be to make a round for friends and family at your next backyard barbecue to enjoy together!
Of all of the homemade drink recipes I’ve shared, this hard rhubarb lemonade recipe may be my personal favorite! That doesn’t mean I don’t love a nice Lillet rosé martini or a raspberry gin fizz, but there’s something really special about this cocktail.
Ingredients for this recipe
- Lemonade (fresh or from a bottle, no judgement here)
- Vodka (gin would also be delicious)
- Rhubarb Simple Syrup
- Sparkling water (plain or lemon flavored)
How to make the cocktail
- Add the lemonade to a cocktail shaker. Make sure it’s filled with ice. A large Mason jar would also work to mix the drink.
- Add the vodka. At least 2 ounces (or more) depending on how strong you like it.
- Pour in the simple syrup. And stir or shake it all together!
- Pour into a glass filled with ice. And top with soda water!
Making a pitcher of hard rhubarb lemonade
If you’re going to be entertaining a crowd and want to make a big batch of this hard lemonade, use these ratios:
- 3 cups lemonade
- 2 cups vodka
- 1 cup rhubarb simple syrup
Combine all the above in a pitcher and refrigerate until ready to use. Pour 6 ounces into a glass filled with ice and top with sparkling water. This will make enough to serve 8!
Another great cocktail to serve a group is my famous Wisconsin Brandy Slush!
Recipe Tips and Tricks
If you don’t have a cocktail jigger to measure out your ounces of liquid, it’s handy to know that 2 tablespoons is equal to 1 fluid ounce. For instance, when this recipe calls for 3 ounces of lemonade, you would need 6 tablespoons.
A good quality gin would also be terrific in place of the vodka if that’s more your speed!
Hard Rhubarb Lemonade
- Cocktail Shaker
- Cocktail Jigger
- Serving Glass
- 3 ounces lemonade
- 2 ounces vodka
- 1 ounce rhubarb simple syrup
- Soda water for serving
- In a cocktail shaker filled with ice add 3 ounces lemonade, 2 ounces vodka, and 1 ounce rhubarb simple syrup. Stir or shake well to combine.
- Strain into a glass filled with ice and top with soda water (just an ounce or two).
- See post for notes on making a pitcher or recipe substitutions.