This post may contain affiliate links. This blog generates income via ads.
This Shaved Brussels Sprouts Caesar salad is a twist on the classic dish. Making homemade Caesar dressing has never been easier thanks to a secret ingredient – mayonnaise! Enjoy this healthy recipe topped with grilled chicken or shrimp for a truly delicious meal.
Brussels sprouts are so versatile! Shaving them thinly makes them the perfect vehicle for homemade Caesar dressing. Chopped kale, a sprinkle of browned butter breadcrumbs and freshly grated parmesan complete this filling salad.
Can you use mayonnaise in Caesar dressing?
The key to a really great Caesar salad is always going to be the dressing. Traditionally, Caesar dressing is made by first emulsifying egg yolks and olive oil. My recipe cuts out that lengthy (and often difficult) process and replaces it with high-quality mayonnaise.
Why can you use mayo? Because mayo is eggs and oil! And they’re already emulsified! Duke’s mayonnaise is the perfect consistency and texture to be the base of this homemade Caesar dressing recipe.
Ingredients for Caesar dressing made with mayonnaise:
- Mayonnaise (Duke’s or death, y’all)
- Anchovy Paste
- Dijon Mustard
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Parmesan Cheese
Simply blend all the ingredients together in a food processor or Ninja bullet and you’ll have perfectly thick and absolutely delicious Caesar dressing made with mayonnaise!
To assemble the Caesar salad:
- Make the Caesar dressing. This can be done up to five days in advance.
- Toast the breadcrumbs. For tips on how to brown butter, refer to this post!
- Shave the Brussels sprouts. Using a mandolin (watch your fingers!), a really sharp chef’s knife, or the slicing attachment for your food processor.
- Build the salad. Toss the Brussels, kale, breadcrumbs, and parmesan together. Then dress the salad.
Be sure to serve this salad immediately, as a heavily dressed salad loses it’s structure rather quickly. Brussels sprouts are sturdier than romaine, the traditional lettuce for Caesar salads, but they will still get weepy after awhile.
If desired, prep the dressing, toast the breadcrumbs, slice the Brussels, and chop the kale a day in advance and assemble when ready to serve!
You may also like:
- Bacon Braised Brussels Sprouts
- Green Goddess Salad Dressing
- Classic Iceberg Wedge Salad Recipe
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Blood Orange Vinaigrette
Shaved Brussels Sprouts Caesar Salad
For the Caesar Dressing
- 1 cup mayonnaise Duke's, preferably
- 1 whole lemon juiced
- 2 tsp. anchovy paste
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 - 1 ¼ cups shredded parmesan
For the Salad:
- 3 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- 1 bunch kale
- ½ cup shredded parmesan
For the Caesar Dressing:
- In the bowl of a food processor, blend all of the ingredients for the dressing, except the parmesan, together until smooth. Add the parmesan and pulse to combine. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
For the Salad:
- In a small saucepan, heat the butter over medium-high heat until melted. Keep heating, until butter beings to bubble. Swirl pan, cooking continuously, until bubbling subsides and butter begins to turn brown and become fragrant. Immediately, lower heat and add breadcrumbs, tossing to coat. Cook breadcrumbs, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and toasted. Remove from pan to cool.
- Using a very sharp kitchen knife, mandolin, or the slicing attachment of your food processor, shave the Brussels sprouts into thin pieces and place in a large salad bowl or serving tray. Chop the kale into fine pieces and place in bowl, along with parmesan and toasted bread crumbs. Toss to combine before adding dressing and tossing to coat greens generously. Serve immediately.
Leave a Reply