This meatball sliders recipe is a great way to use up leftover meatballs! It’s so easy! Combine the meatballs with bakery-fresh buns, canned tomato sauce, and sliced cheese and you’ll be enjoying these portable Italian-inspired bites in no time!
I love an easy recipe that is also delicious! And these meatball sliders totally fit that bill. Plus, they’re also full of melty cheese, lots of red sauce, and my favorite venison meatballs ever, so it’s nothing but a win-win-win in my book!
Ingredients for this recipe:
- Meatballs (they can be of the homemade variety or store-bought, I’m not here to judge)
- Bakery Rolls (I used potato, because the size was perfect, but simple BBQ ones would work too! Even those little Hawaiian rolls would be delish!)
- Tomato Sauce (I made so many batches of this recipe, minus the cream, to use all winter long)
- Mozzarella cheese (shredded and/or sliced, whatever you have on hand, my friend)
- Butter (because, duh)
- Italian Seasoning (for flare!)
How to make baked meatballs sliders
- Cut all the buns. If they aren’t already cut for you. Pro tip: ask an associate at the bakery counter to slice open your buns for less work!
- Place the bottoms of the buns in a baking dish. In neat little rows.
- Spread with tomato sauce. Be as generous or as stingy with the sauce as you’d like. I love a saucy meatball slider, but you do you, baby.
- Add a layer of cheese. Shredded or sliced. I had both on hand so I used both in this recipe, but you can do all sliced or all shredded. Or even throw in some provolone or swiss if you’re feeling adventurous!
- Add the meatballs. If they weren’t cooked in or served with sauce, add another dollop of sauce on top. We don’t want dry sliders!
- Cover with another layer of cheese. Again, sliced or shredded. I like to do sliced on top because it forms a sort of cheesy blanket and encases the entire sandwich in its deliciousness.
- Finish with the top of the bun. Be sure to brush the tops with melted butter and sprinkle with the Italian seasoning for a beautiful finish! The butter will help the buns crisp up in the oven and the seasoning adds so much flavor!
- Bake until melted. Cover the tray in tinfoil and bake in a 350-degree oven for about 25 minutes. Serve and enjoy! I like to do extra sauce on the side for dipping, too!
Storing and reheating leftover meatball sliders
As with any leftover, I’m all about wrapping those suckers in tinfoil and putting them in the fridge. This makes reheating a breeze too! Simply wrap the leftovers in the foil you had on the baking dish and refrigerate, when ready to reheat pop the whole foil packet into a 350-degree oven until warmed through! They can also be reheated in the microwave, but the buns will get very soft and squishy, so be careful!
Meatball Sliders Recipe
- 9x13 baking pan
- 12 bakery rolls sliced in half
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 12 meatballs I will always use this recipe
- 6 slices mozzarella cheese cut in half
- 3 tablespoon salted butter melted
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with baking spray and place the bottoms of the bakery rolls in a single layer in the dish. (I find that four rows of three buns fits perfectly.)
- Spread the buns with 1 ½ cups of the tomato sauce before sprinkling the shredded mozzarella cheese over the top.
- Place one meatball on each bun half and dollop with a bit more tomato sauce, if desired. Cover each meatball with half a slice of the mozzarella cheese before covering the slider with the top of the bun.
- Brush the tops of the buns with melted butter and sprinkle with the Italian seasoning.
- Cover the dish with tinfoil and bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until cheese is melted and meatballs are warmed through.
- Serve with extra tomato sauce for dipping, if desired.
- Leftover sliders can be wrapped in foil and store the fridge. To reheat simply place the entire foil packet into a 350 degree oven for 20 – 25 minutes, or until warmed through again.