This Shaved Brussels Sprouts Caesar Salad recipe is a slight twist on a classic dish. Homemade Caesar Dressing is made much easier with the help of a secret ingredient - mayo! Enjoy this healthy recipe topped with grilled chicken or shrimp for a truly delicious meal!
Starting the New Year off with a salad…could I be any more of a cliché?
For instance – I could wax poetic about how important it is to go into the New Year eating food to fuel your body. Good food. Real food. Whole food. I could talk about how kale is loaded with vitamins and minerals and how cutting out the croutons means less carbs and blah blah blah.
Or, I can just give it to you straight.
I love this salad. Because I love green things. And cheesy things. And crunchy, creamy, filling things. This Shaved Brussels Sprouts Caesar Salad is all of those things.
It is also really fun. And different. And new. At least to me. From making it to styling it to shooting it. I made Caesar dressing for the first time (using my favorite kitchen helper of all time – Duke’s Mayo!). I added chopped kale to shaved Brussels sprouts, for added flavor and texture (and, yes, health benefits). I watched my first Style/Edit session with Sarah from Broma Bakery and tried to keep her teachings in mind. I tried new and different things and had the absolute best time doing so.
That’s what we should focus on in this New Year. New decade. Do something new, different. Have fun, go outside your comfort zone. Feed your body, yes, of course. Preferably with this Shaved Brussels Sprouts Caesar Salad. But, feed your creativity too.
Shaved Brussels Sprouts Caesar Salad
For the Caesar Dressing
- 1 cup mayonnaise Duke's, preferably
- 1 whole lemon juiced
- 2 tsp. anchovy paste
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 - 1 1/4 cups shredded parmesan
For the Salad:
- 3 TBSP butter
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- 1 bunch kale
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan
For the Caesar Dressing:
- In the bowl of a food processor, blend all of the ingredients for the dressing, except the parmesan, together until smooth. Add the parmesan and pulse to combine. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
For the Salad:
- In a small saucepan, heat the butter over medium-high heat until melted. Keep heating, until butter beings to bubble. Swirl pan, cooking continuously, until bubbling subsides and butter begins to turn brown and become fragrant. Immediately, lower heat and add breadcrumbs, tossing to coat. Cook breadcrumbs, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and toasted. Remove from pan to cool.
- Using a very sharp kitchen knife, mandolin, or the slicing attachment of your food processor, shave the Brussels sprouts into thin pieces and place in a large salad bowl or serving tray. Chop the kale into fine pieces and place in bowl, along with parmesan and toasted bread crumbs. Toss to combine before adding dressing and tossing to coat greens generously. Serve immediately.