Lasagna Soup Recipe
This lasagna soup recipe boasts all of the ingredients and flavors of the traditional Italian recipe. Meat, tomatoes, cheese, and perfectly cooked lasagna noodles combine in one pot to get a comforting meal on the table in no time at all!
Servings: 10 servings
- 1 pound Ground Venison (Or ground beef! We just eat venison in our house.)
- 1 pound Ground Italian Sausage
- 1 medium white onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 2 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 29 ounces diced tomatoes from two 14.5 ounce cans
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles broken into pieces (or another noodle of your choice!)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese for serving
- ½ cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese for serving
- Kosher Salt to taste
Place a large Dutch oven with a lid over medium-high heat. Add the ground venison and sausage and cook until rendered and browned. Remove the meat from the pot to a bowl, leaving the drippings behind.
Add the onion to the pot and stir to coat in the drippings (if necessary, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pot if the meat was especially lean). Sprinkle with kosher salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute more.
Add the tomato paste, sugar, Italian seasoning and cinnamon. Stir to coat and cook until tomato paste is fragrant, about 1 minute more. Stir in the diced tomatoes and chicken stock. Taste and season with more kosher salt, if necessary.
Bring the soup up to a boil. Stir in the cooked meat and broken lasagna noodles. Cook until noodles are tender, about 10 minutes. Remove soup from heat and stir in cream.
Serve soup with mozzarella and parmesan cheese on top. And garlic bread on the side!
- Leftover soup can be stored in fridge for up to three days. Please note, however, that the soup will thicken significantly and will need to be thinned with additional chicken stock when reheated.
- Refer to post for notes on how to freeze this soup!
Serving: 1bowl | Calories: 521kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 32g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 118mg | Sodium: 807mg | Potassium: 800mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 832IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 196mg | Iron: 4mg