Homemade Garlic Bread with Frozen Bread Dough
This recipe for homemade garlic bread uses store-bought, frozen bread dough to cut the prep time in half! A thick layer of butter and a generous shake of garlic salt and Italian seasoning are all you need to make perfect garlic bread right at home!
Servings: 7 servings
- 1 loaf Frozen Bread Dough
- 8 TBSP salted butter at room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp. Garlic Salt
- 2 tsp. Italian Seasoning
8 – 12 hours before baking: remove bread dough from freezer and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Loosely cover the dough in plastic wrap that has been sprayed with baking spray. Set in the refrigerator for 8 – 12 hours to thaw.
When ready to bake: Remove the dough from the refrigerator. Remove the plastic wrap and discard. Gently stretch the dough out so the loaf is about 12-inches long. Let rise in a warm, draft free place for about 2 hours, or until doubled in size.
Just before dough has finished rising, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a microwave-safe dish. Use a pastry brush to spread the melted butter over the risen dough. Sprinkle the dough with a bit of the garlic salt and Italian seasoning. Score the top of the loaf with a knife.
Bake in preheated oven for 25 – 30 minutes, or until deeply golden brown. A good test of bread being baked through is that it will make a hollow sound when the bottom is thumped with a finger.
Allow bread to cool for about 10 minutes before slicing in half. Spread the remaining butter over each half of bread. Sprinkle with the remaining garlic salt and Italian seasoning (or to your personal taste preference).
Return to oven for 10 minutes, or until butter is totally melted and edges of bread are toasty.
Remove from oven and cut into slices before serving.
- Wrap any leftover garlic bread in tinfoil and store at room temperature for up to three days.
- To reheat garlic bread: Place foil-wrapped bread in a 350-degree oven for 10 minutes.
- To quickly thaw frozen bread dough: place frozen dough on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave on the “defrost” setting of the microwave for 3 minutes. Rotate loaf and microwave on “defrost” for another 3 minutes. After 6 minutes the dough should be perfectly defrosted! Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and set the dough out to rise as directed in the recipe above.
Serving: 2slices | Calories: 282kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 34mg | Sodium: 826mg | Potassium: 22mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 424IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 27mg | Iron: 1mg