White Cheese Queso
This is the ultimate recipe for white cheese queso! Perfectly creamy and smooth this dip tastes just like what you’d find at a Mexican restaurant! Serve with a big bowl of tortilla chips for the ultimate snacking experience.
Servings: 8 servings
- 10 ounces diced tomatoes with green chilies
- ½ small white onion diced
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 16 ounces Monterey jack cheese shredded
- 2 teaspoon corn starch
- 18 ounces evaporated milk from two 12 ounce cans, with extra reserved
Set a large saucepan or cast iron skillet over medium heat. Cook the onion in 2 teaspoon of your preferred cooking oil (I use olive oil), until it begins to soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in the diced tomatoes with green chilies, salt, and garlic powder. Cook until liquid from tomatoes has almost entirely evaporated, about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, while the tomatoes cook down, toss together the shredded cheese and cornstarch until cheese is well coated.
When tomatoes have cooked down, reduce heat to low. Add in the shredded cheese (now coated in cornstarch) and evaporated milk. Cook, stirring constantly, until queso is melted, creamy, and smooth.
Serve immediately with tortilla chips. Garnish with extra diced tomatoes, jalapeños, and cilantro, if desired.
- Leftover queso can be stored in refrigerator for up to five days.
- To reheat queso, add a splash of the reserve evaporated milk to a serving of the cold queso. Microwave in 20 second intervals, stirring between each, until white cheese queso is piping hot.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 313kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 69mg | Sodium: 853mg | Potassium: 323mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 630IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 602mg | Iron: 1mg