Sausage and Tortellini Soup
This recipe for sausage and tortellini soup is made with ground Italian sausage, cheese tortellini, and loaded with vegetables! A splash of cream and a sprinkling of cheese make it absolutely perfect to warm you up from the inside out.
Servings: 12 servings
- 1 pound ground hot Italian sausage
- 3 carrots peeled and diced
- 1 large white onion diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 29 ounces diced tomatoes from two 14.5 ounce cans
- 16 ounces cheese tortellini
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Parmesan cheese for serving
In a large soup pot, or heavy-bottomed Dutch oven, brown the ground sausage over medium-high heat until crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined bowl to drain and set aside.
Reduce heat to medium and add the carrot and onion, stirring to coat. Add a splash of the chicken stock to help deglaze the pan. Cook the vegetables until they just begin to become tender, about three minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Add the remaining stock and diced tomatoes. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring the soup to a boil.
Stir in the tortellini and cooked sausage, making sure everything is well combined. Cook until tortellini are tender, about five minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in the heavy cream.
Serve with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Soup can be kept for up to two days before the tortellini totally fall apart.
- If wanting to make and freeze this soup: omit the tortellini and cream in the beginning. Cool the soup and freeze. When wanting to serve, thaw the soup, reheat and bring up to a boil in a large Dutch oven. Stir in the tortellini and cook until tender before removing from heat and stirring in cream.
Serving: 2cups | Calories: 368kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 73mg | Sodium: 580mg | Potassium: 385mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 2919IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 105mg | Iron: 2mg