Best Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
This cream cheese frosting recipe has been used in our family for decades. It’s easy to make, has an amazing tangy flavor, and a fluffy texture that just cannot be beat!
Servings: 16 servings
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 2 pounds powdered sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ cup milk
- Pinch of salt
Cream together butter and cream cheese until smooth and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
Scrape down bowl and add almost all of the powdered sugar, vanilla, milk, and salt. Pulsing the mixer on and off, slowly begin to combine the dry ingredients.
Increase mixer speed to medium and whip frosting for 2 – 3 minutes, or until very light and fluffy. Scrape down the bowl at least once during the mixing process to ensure all of the cream cheese and butter mixture is well-incorporated into the frosting. Add the remaining powdered sugar, if desired consistency has not been reached yet and mix again.
Frost cake, cookies, or cinnamon rolls as desired.
- This recipe makes enough frosting to coat a simple two-layer cake. For cinnamon rolls or a sheet cake, halve the recipe. (Or freeze any leftovers!)
- Leftover frosting can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. Or frozen for up to three months. When it is frozen, remove it from the freezer to the fridge to thaw overnight before using.
- To reconstitute refrigerated cream cheese frosting bring it up to room temperature, put it in the bowl of a stand mixer and whip with a paddle attachment until fluffy. If the frosting feels runny, add another ¼ cup of powdered sugar to the frosting and mix until incorporated.
Serving: 0.5cups | Calories: 373kcal | Carbohydrates: 57g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 46mg | Sodium: 50mg | Potassium: 28mg | Sugar: 56g | Vitamin A: 551IU | Calcium: 22mg | Iron: 1mg