This grasshopper ice cream recipe is so easy and even more delicious! It’s flavored with mint and chocolate, like the classic grasshopper cocktail recipe. It also contains just a hint of booze like a blended grasshopper drink – as all ice cream should!
Make sure this easy and delicious grasshopper ice cream recipe is on your “To Make” list this summer season. It’s cool, creamy, and refreshing – just like the classic Midwestern cocktail! It comes together in just a few minutes, too! This is thanks to an effortless no-churn ice cream recipe base that’s ready to freeze in less than ten minutes.
What are the ingredients of this (no churn) Grasshopper Ice Cream Recipe?
- Heavy Cream (use a WI-based brand, if you can!)
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Crème de Menthe
- Crème de Cacao
- Mint Extract
- Chopped Chocolate
Care for a cocktail?
A traditional grasshopper is usually a blended beverage made with ice cream, heavy cream, crème de menthe (that’s fancy speak for mint), and crème de cacao (that’s fancy speak for chocolate). They’re a staple at Wisconsin Supper Clubs as an after-dinner drink and dessert all in one! We make them every New Year’s Eve to toast to new beginnings (and satisfy our sweet teeth!).
Feel free to throw a few scoops of this decadent (and grown up!) mint chip ice cream into a blender with another splash of cream (or booze!). Blend it up and serve with a straw for your own homemade grasshopper cocktail!
What flavor is Grasshopper Ice Cream?
Much like the beloved cocktail, this no churn grasshopper ice cream recipe is flavored with mint and chocolate. It has two (count ‘em TWO) different liqueurs in it – crème de menthe and crème de cacao. A half teaspoon of mint extract heightens the mint flavor and chopped chocolate provides a necessary crunch. The base of this no churn ice cream is the base for all wonderful no church ice cream recipes. It is simply whipped cream and sweetened condensed milk. From there, you can add whatever flavorings or mix-ins to the base.
How to make Grasshopper Ice Cream:
- Whip the cream. With just a pinch of salt. And to just barely stiffened peaks.
- Add the sweetened condensed milk. The whole dang, drippy can.
- Add in the booze, extracts, and color. Just a few drops of green to heighten the classic color of the grasshopper drink!
- Stir in the chocolate. This recipe is basically mint chocolate chip ice cream on steroids. The different sized chocolate chunks provide amazing texture and flavor.
- Pour and freeze. The ice cream needs to chill in the freezer for at least four hours (overnight is even better). It can be put in a cake pan, loaf pan (both lined with parchment paper to prevent scratches), or a Tupperware container for even easier storage!
- Scoop and serve. I always put my ice cream scoop in a glass of warm water for a minute or two before scooping. It slides through like a hot knife through butter! Sprinkle with some extra chocolate chunks (or pour over another shot of crème de menthe), because you’re worth it.
Tips & Tricks for this recipe:
- Use high quality heavy cream. Our house is a Sassy Cow house. They’re a local dairy a little over an hour from our house. We almost exclusively use their milk, cream, and half & half. We also really like Kemps and Prairie Farms dairy products. If possible, grab a bottle from a Wisconsin dairy!
- Be gentle! This recipe for no churn ice cream gets its light and airy body from the (high quality) whipped cream. To avoid deflating or losing all that beautiful air you’ve whipped into it, you have to gently incorporate the other ingredients. If desired, you can whisk together all the other liquid ingredients in a large measuring cup separately from the whipped cream. Slowly pour that mixture into the whipped heavy cream and fold to combine before adding the chocolate chunks.
- Green with envy. This recipe does contain alcohol. But! If you’re wanting to serve it to children, there are a few adjustments that can be made. Omit the crème de menthe and crème de cacao from the original recipe and instead, add an additional teaspoon of mint extract (making the total 1 ½ teaspoon of extract used) and add an additional 6 drops of green food coloring (making the total 12 drops of coloring). This will result in a mint chocolate chip ice cream that still has the beloved green shade and minty flavor – without the boozy buzz!
- Chip off the old block. While I prefer to chunk my own chocolate from a bar for this ice cream recipe, it isn’t a requirement. The variation in size adds a lot of texture to this frozen treat, but mini chocolate chips, or even regular chocolate chips would work just fine if that’s all you have on hand. For the bigger chips, give ‘em a rough chop before tossing them in.
No Churn Grasshopper Ice Cream is the summer treat you’ve been waiting for. It’s creamy, crunchy, delicious and decadent. It’s grown up mint chip ice cream served the Midwestern way!
Grasshopper Ice Cream Recipe (No Churn)
- Stand Mixer
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
- 2 ounces crème de menthe
- 1 ounce crème de cacao
- ½ teaspoon mint extract
- 6 drops green food coloring optional
- 4 ounces chopped chocolate chunks
- Line an 8-inch round cake pan (or 9-inch loaf pan) with parchment paper and set aside. (Crumpling up the parchment paper first will help it stay in the pan better, just fyi.)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whip the heavy cream and salt to stiff peaks. Be very careful not to overwhip the cream or this will cause it to curdle.
- Pour in the sweetened condensed milk, crème de menthe, crème de cacao, mint extract, and food coloring, if using. Gently folding to fully incorporate the ingredients.
- Gently stir in the chocolate pieces before pouring into prepared pan.
- Chill ice cream in freezer for at least 4 hours, or overnight, before scooping and serving with additional chocolate chunks (or booze!) if desired.